“By sowing frugality we reap liberty, a golden harvest.” Agesilaus
We all have been there, whether it is spending too much money on wants or basically living above your means (keeping up with the Joneses). Then reality sets in and we become aware of the debt you racked up doing this, then you realized you have no choice but to embrace frugality if you want to be debt-free.
What does it mean to be frugal?
Being frugal means you are conscious of where your money goes and you do your best to buy quality products at the lowest prices (when you need them), so you have more money available to spend on what truly matters to you: investing, traveling, retiring early, or paying down debt.
MY TOP 5 FRUGAL TIPS
- BUDGET not the “B” word, a budget is an estimation of revenue and expenses over a specified future period of time and is usually compiled and re-evaluated on a periodic basis. There is no rule to this as long as your expenditures do not exceed your revenue and make every dollar work for you and give each dollar an assign job. It is easier tracking your spending when you do this and you will be more engage with your bank balance and being aware is the first stepping stone, while you on the path of paying off debt, let automation be your best friend in terms of saving and investing. Make sure you are writing this down; if you are tech savvy you can download any reputable budgeting app.
2. COOKING meals can be very rewarding when you are on a budget as cooking is a money saver and you have set goals for debt repayment. Doing this will save you as restaurants and takeouts will definitely add up over time especially if it’s more frequent than normal, before you do this make sure you delete all the take outs app, rid yourself from temptations. Benefits of cooking more often are:
· Learn new and upgraded cooking skills.
· Rely less on highly processed, sodium and sugary foods.
· Control the amount of sauces and seasonings.
· Make foods that you and yours ideal favourites.
· Control portion sizes.
· There always leftovers most of the time.